The Delaware Geological Survey has a continuing program to map the geology of the entire state at the detailed scale of 1:24,000. The STATEMAP component of the National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program has contributed significantly to our surficial geologic mapping program. This work has resulted in not only new geologic mapping, but also the digital compilation of previous mapping. Products of this program include file formats that can be downloaded and printed from the web as geologic map products and imported into GIS software as georeferenced layers.
Geologic maps are important, high-priority products identified in the current DGS Strategic Plan. The state has seen an acceleration of population growth over the last fifteen years, creating an increasing need for geologic map information for groundwater, land use, natural hazard, environmental geology, soils/agriculture, land use planning, and geotechnical engineering applications. GIS has expanded the usefulness and accessibility of geologic maps as they can be readily integrated with other scientific, geographic, planning, and technical data for a given area. GIS layers of DGS geologic maps can be found in the publications section of the DGS website.
As part of the STATEMAP component of the National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program, the DGS is conducting geologic mapping in the Clayton and Millington Quadrangles at a scale of 1:24,000. Field work includes drilling and taking core samples with the DGS drill rig and shallow subsurface sampling using hand augers. Interpretation of the data from field work is used to map geologic formations in the shallow subsurface and those that occur at land surface along with related geomorphic features such as Carolina Bays.
USGS National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program: http://ncgmp.usgs.gov/about/statemap.html
The following projects and publications are related to the Delaware STATEMAP program:
- GM19 Geologic Map of the Frankford and Selbyville Quadrangles, Delaware
- GM18 Geologic Map of the Bethany Beach and Assawoman Bay Quadrangles
- GM17 Geologic Map of the Harbeson Quadrangle, Delaware
- GM16 Geologic Map of the Fairmount and Rehoboth Beach Quadrangles, Delaware
- GM15 Geologic Map of the Georgetown Quadrangle, Delaware
- GM14 Geologic Map of Kent County, Delaware
- GM13 Geologic Map of New Castle County, Delaware
- GM12 Geology of the Lewes and Cape Henlopen Quadrangles, Delaware
- GM11 Geology of the Ellendale and Milton Quadrangles, Delaware
- GM9 Geology of the Seaford Area, Delaware