In the early 1950s, interest in water resources was considerable, and many organizations and individuals thought that legislation concerning the wise utilization and conservation of water should be considered. This interest led Governor J. Caleb Boggs to appoint the Delaware Water Resources Study Committee, which had a large membership representing municipalities, industry, farm organizations, and conservation groups. Dr. G. M. Worrilow, then Dean of the School of Agriculture of the University of Delaware, was its Chairman, and the Committee elected the State Geologist to be its Secretary. At about the same time, the Chamber of Commerce in Wilmington was instrumental in establishing the New Castle County Water Resources Committee, of which the State Geologist was also a member. The two Committees worked closely together in order to determine whether or not legislation was needed for the orderly development of Delaware's water resources, and, if so, to recommend a water policy for the State and ways and means for implementing such a policy.
The Governor's Committee's first task was to pull together widely scattered data on water resources, the Survey staff being heavily involved in this matter. A study was also made of various doctrines and water-resource laws enacted in the past in other states, and, after many meetings of the committees and various subcommittees, a draft of a proposed act was presented to the Governor. It was introduced in the General Assembly as Senate Bill 98 in 1957. It failed to pass, but the State did have regulatory p