In the nineteen forties, the need to develop considerable water supplies led to the realization that very little was known about ground-water resources and that something should be done to rectify this situation. In the early part of the first term of Governor Elbert N. Carvel (1948-1952), a small ground-water program was started by personnel of the U. S. Geological Survey's (USGS) Salisbury, Maryland, office. The State of Delaware was represented in this program by the State Highway Department and the School of Agriculture of the University of Delaware.
It was clear, however, that Delaware needed its own geological organization if future investigations were to be conducted with a view to achieving the greatest benefits for its citizens. Indeed, the chief of the USGS office in Salisbury, William C. Rasmussen, encouraged State officials to create a geological survey.
At the same time, Huber Denn of the Delaware Chamber of Commerce, George Simpson of the Farm Bureau, and George M. Worrilow of the School of Agriculture of the University of Delaware recognized the importance of a geological survey and supported its creation. Great credit is due to then Governor Elbert N. Carvel who acted decisively in promoting legislation with regard to water resources, in particular, Senate Bill 129 which created the Delaware Geological Survey (DGS). This bill was introduced by State Senator William O. Cubbage in the 116th General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Carvel on June 4, 1951.
In the same year, the Water Pollution Commission was created. The DGS and water pollution progra