Beginning July 1, 2008, DGS will become formally affiliated with the College of Marine and Earth Studies (CMES) within UD. DGS has been part of the University of Delaware since 1951, however, had previously reported to the vice provost for research and graduate studies.
DGS will retain its autonomy, but the new arrangement will build on an already strong relationship with CMES. DGS scientists have teamed up with faculty across the college for numerous projects. Additionally, several DGS employees have secondary appointments with the Department of Geological Sciences. They also teach courses, give lectures, serve on thesis and dissertation committees, provide graduate and undergraduate student advising services, and mentor geology students through the DGS internship program.